Our Brookvale Centre
Our Brookvale Centre is a vibrant space providing access to a range of interest based activity and learning programs which enable our clients to share their learning experience with other people of similar age or interest.
Brookvale is a meeting place and starting point for many excursions and social outings. We love being out in the community with our people, exploring everything that Sydney and the beautiful Northern Beaches has to offer. Our clients are actively engaged in helping to plan excursions and recreational events.
While activities and programs run during the week cater for people over 18 years of age, we run an under 18 recreational program on Saturdays. We also run a vacation care program during school holiday periods for 5 – 18 year olds. Daily outings and in centre activities are offered.
Here is a sample of some of the things on offer from Brookvale:
- Current classes – including photography (in centre and outside), computers, literacy and writing skills , dance and fitness. These generally run 9.00am – 3.00pm Monday to Friday. Let us know what else you are interested in and we can develop a class!
- Living skills – ideal for school leavers who want to work on specific skills to support their independence and future opportunities.
- BBQs and excursions – we get out and about, making the most of what Sydney and the Northern Beaches has to offer, at the same time learning and sharing the experience with friends, without compromising safety such as Sailability at Manly, movie making at the Powerhouse Museum, swimming and bushwalking
- Recreational activities – our range of Saturday activities and excursions cater for children and adults. We work with mainstream partners to access all kinds of social and recreational activities, guided by the preferences of our clients, including bushwalks, movies, attending shows at the Opera House, trampolining, museum visits and even jet boating!
- Club Friday for over 18s – social activities from restaurants and clubs where you can share a meal, to dancing and or even karaoke!
- Tarooki Art Space – a fun and friendly space, encouraging artists with a disability, and those yet to discover their artistic ability, to explore and develop their creativity. It’s a place to learn new skills and experiment with different techniques including paint, crayon, clay and collage. Making art can be very uplifting and helps to build confidence. The groups are small and the environment is peaceful. The classes run on Friday’s between 9.30am and 3.00pm and are led by our experienced and highly trained facilitator and Art Therapist.
While the focus at our Brookvale Centre is on experience, fun and learning, we recognise the fundamental importance of excellent care and support. Our staff team is well trained and capable, ensuring that client needs are met with dignity and respect. Our Brookvale Centre is open 51 weeks of the year, with activities running at times to best suit our clients – day, evening and weekends. If you have a great idea for a program we could run from Brookvale, we want to hear about it!