Our Lady of Good Counsel ELC, Forestville
A warm, home-like atmosphere of inclusive play-based learning is at the core of our philosophy and practice. We believe that children thrive and learn best when they feel safe, supported and respected for who they are, and when their learning is guided by their own interests and choices.
Children’s learning becomes meaningful when they are free to learn at their own pace and in their own way. We place high value on intentional teaching and adult-child interactions through which educators bring a rich knowledge base to support children to move onto new and higher levels of understanding.
As families are children’s best and first teachers, we strive to work in close partnership with families to strengthen all areas of a child’s growth, especially their emotional and social growth, feelings of self-competence and dispositions to learn and expectations to succeed.
Our Forestville ELC is a purpose-built preschool on the grounds of Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Primary School.
- We cater for children aged 3 – 5 years.
- Our operating hours are 8.15am – 3.45pm during the school term.
- We have four groups of 20 children, with a set attendance pattern or either 2 or 3 consecutive days ie. Monday/Tuesday, Thursday/Friday, Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday or Wednesday/Thursday/Friday. This provides consistency and helps children develop friendships and a sense of belonging.
- We welcome children and families of all backgrounds regardless of their religion and choice of primary school.
Coordinator, Forestville ELC
11 Currie Road
FORESTVILLE NSW 2087
P: (02) 9452 3069
M: 0427 230 013
A warm, home-like atmosphere of inclusive play-based learning is at the core of our philosophy and practice
Our preschool rooms are grouped according to the child’s attendance pattern:
- Nungha (water): children attend Monday – Wednesday
- Guyong (fire): children attend Monday – Thursday
- Punyal (sun): children attend Wednesday – Friday
- Wibbee (wind): children attend Tuesday – Friday
Children learn in different ways and develop at different rates – cognitively, physically, socially, emotionally, creatively and spiritually and have different needs and interests over time. Our rooms are designed to allow children to move between the various learning areas, creating very calm and inviting play areas where they can play for long periods of uninterrupted time. Children are supported and guided to become confident, outgoing, inquisitive, knowledgeable, imaginative, kind, caring and creative individuals.
Our program is underpinned by the principles, practices and learning outcomes outlined in the National Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF). The framework places emphasis on the significance of play-based learning and the importance of building strong relationships with children, families and the community.
Curriculum areas such as literacy, numeracy, arts, science, technology, physical education, as well as spirituality and stewardship are not singled out to be taught at certain times. Instead they are integrated into all aspects of our day and within the context of play.
Our ELC is staffed by a dedicated team of professionals and consists of University trained Early Childhood Teachers and TAFE trained Diploma Educators with many years of experience. We are privileged to have educator who is French and she teaches French regularly to the children.
We want you to see the rich learning that takes place. This may include displays of children’s art work, photo boards, project books, learning stories, the programming folder and our preschool blog. Our secure blog provides families with the opportunity to view and share their children’s learning journey. We use iPads to take photos and write daily reflections which are then displayed for families at the end of the day. Each room has a weekly diary which is posted on the blog and newsletters are also published each term. We also provide a report each term detailing each child’s learning and progress.
While school readiness is continuously integrated into every aspect of our preschool program from the beginning of each school year, there is a certain progression in the level of its intensity throughout the year. This is also reflected in the number of experiences that are jointly planned by the ELC and Our Lady of Good Counsel primary school. They include library visits, sports sessions at the school oval, attending school assemblies, having morning tea at the school, and kindy visits.
These visits have proven tremendously helpful for all children in their year before. The visits focus on some of the key features of a primary school, which are consistent regardless of which school children will attend. We want our older children to enter their primary school environment feeling happy and confident.
CatholicCare welcomes enrolments from all children ages 3- 5 from our community.
Families are also welcome to contact the Coordinator for further information or to arrange a tour of the preschool and an opportunity to meet our educators.
Fees are as follows:
- 3 years: $65 per day
- 4 – 5 years: $59 per day
- 4th & 5th days are $10 extra
The ELC Co-ordinator is a Registered Carer. Please note, some families may be eligible to claim Child Care Benefit if you meet the required work assessment. Families will need to investigate their eligibility through the Family Assistance Office.
- A broad brimmed or legionnaire style hat to protect your child’s face, ears, neck and back during outdoor play.
- Clothing must be sun safe and cover the children’s shoulders, back and stomach. Singlets and sleeveless tops are not recommended.
- Clothing needs to be suitable to the weather and allow for messy, explorative play. Please do not send your children in good clothes as it restricts their play and interactions.
- Preferred footwear includes joggers, slip on shoes and sandals (no thongs).
- You will need to pack a healthy and nutritious morning tea and lunch plus a drink bottle with water. Healthy food ideas include sandwiches, yoghurt, crackers, vegetables, fruit and cheese. Do not send chocolate of any kind (including milo and nutella products), lollies, chips, rollups, juice or fizzy drinks.
- Please note we are a nut free service. Depending on individual children we may need to restrict other foods at certain times.
- 8 nappies if applicable.
- Sheets/pillow/blanket if your child requires a rest.
This is where you will find us. Pop your address into the map to get directions. We look forward to welcoming you to our Centre.